Powered by Blogger.

Chelsea's Travel Tips

by - 8:30 PM

My Travel Tips


1. Always rent a hotel/hostel in a central location. It's easier and safer to get around since there's tons of transportation going around, and the roads are filled with locals and tourists. You'll also find lots of travel booths aimed at tourists so it's easy to sign up for day trips and activities if you're looking for something to do.

2. Don't do drugs with strangers. LOL. Although i've done some risque things like accept a sleeping pill from a stranger on a plane and hopping on someone's car for a ride (in both cases they were young Asian women), I always follow my gut feeling when making such absurd decisions. I can tell pretty much instantly if someone has good intentions or if they can't be trusted. If I can't get a "read" on a person, I pretty much don't trust them.

3. Never leave your passport or expensive gadgets (especially if you're staying at a dormitory/hostel) in a locker/locked luggage. Either keep it with you while you're out, or don't bring it at all. Staying at a hotel or a single room is definitely much safer, but you also have to assess the type of accommodation you're staying at... does it look shady? Classy? Is this city known for its booming pick pocket industry? Go find out!


4. Walk around like you know where you're going. Even if you're 100% screwed, don't look like a lost puppy. I also make it a point to dress like a local so I don't stand out or scream "backpacker"-- it's better to keep a low profile especially when traveling solo.

5. Leave space in your luggage because you will FOR SURE end up buying more than you've anticipated.

6. Try to make friends, but if you don't, that's okay too. I personally became friends with an older lady who was selling luggage from one of the street shoppes, and my Swedish room mate at the hostel was cool too! And of course, visiting my Dutch friend (whom I also met while traveling) and crashing on her couch brought us closer together.


7. Don't pay for a $40 walking tour. Seriously? You're paying to walk around in public? Walking tours should be offered by local volunteers for free.

8. Explore their grocery aisles. This is definitely one of my favourite things to do when traveling, apart from eating at local restaurants. I like taking a peek at what these people like to stack in their pantries. For example, I found it quirky that some yogurts were packaged in milk cartons in Amsterdam!

9. Travel at your own pace. Personally, I don't like running on someone else's schedule, or being rushed and shipped to multiple destinations via a tour bus. I typically like having a semi-structured itinerary, with lots of time to explore the area freely.


10. Lastly, leave your worries at home. Take lots of pictures (or not), and enjoy the opportunity to explore someone's else's country while calling it your temporary home too.



Xo,
Chelsea

You May Also Like

0 comments